GENERAL HEALTHY EATING GUIDELINES
- Enjoy a variety of foods
- Make starchy meals basis of most meals
- ¼ plate must be starch
- Choose high fibre starchy foods such as brown bread, brown rice, potatoes with skin,
- Pap is ok to eat but eat a smaller portion, & do alternate with other starchy foods.
- Eat plenty of fruits & vegetables
- The more the merrier, eat at least FIVE vegetables & fruits a day.
- Vegetables are full of nutrients & they make you feel fuller for long
- High in dietary fibre
- Must be at least ½ of your plate
- Vegetables must be prepared in less or no oil as much as possible with minimal salt added
- Mushrooms are not vegetables, they are called fungi but we normally eat them as vegetables.
- Meat, chicken, fish must be eaten regularly
- Remove visible fat from meat
- Remove skin off the chicken
- Use as minimal fat during cooking as possible
- Meat must form ¼ of your meal
- White meat is less fatty such as fish & chicken fillet.
- Drink plenty of clean, safe water
- Oil, sugar & salt must be used sparingly
- Olive oil is the preferredoil but other oils can be used too
- Use 1 tsp of oil for every person you cooking for
- Avoid brick fat such as dripping, butter & holsum
- Most of the time use no oil cooking methods such as boiling, grilling, baking, poaching & steaming as well braai
- Sugar has no nutritional value, it does not matter whether you take brown or white sugar
- Salt must be used while still cooking food not as table salt while eating a meal
- Avoid sugary drinks with empty calories (energy)
- Alcohol: Men are allowed to drink 2 drinks a day and female 1 drink a day
(Binge drinking/weekend drinking is the dangerous one that contributes to diseases & weight gain)
- Choose sugar free cold drinks; not because you are a diabetic but because you want to avoid empty calories.
Yours in health ,